All lyrics from the King James version of the Bible
Composed by: George Frederic Handel (1695-1759)
(2) Comfort Ye
Read scripture: Isaiah 40:1-3
1. Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
2. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned. . . .
3. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
(3) Every Valley
Read scripture: Isaiah 40:4
4 .Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill made low, the crooked straight, and the rough places plain.
(4) And the Glory of the Lord
Read scripture: Isaiah 40:5
5. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together:for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
(5) Thus saith the Lord
Read scripture: Haggai 2:6,7 6. Thus saith the Lord of Hosts; Yet once, a little while and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land; 7. And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come
Read scripture: Malachi 3:1
1. The Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in:Behold, He shall come, saith the Lord of Hosts.
(6) But who may abide the Day of His Coming?
Read scripture: Malachi 3:2
2. But who may abide the day of His coming? and who shall stand when He appeareth? For He is like a refiner's fire.
(7) And He shall Purify
Read scripture: Malachi 3:3
3. And He shall purify the sons of Levi. . . that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.
(9) O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion
Read scripture: Isaiah 40:9
9. O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion, get thee up into the high mountain; O thou that tellest good tidings to Jerusalem, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, and be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!
Read scripture: Isaiah 60:1
(10) For behold, darkness shall cover the earth
Read scripture: Isaiah 60:2,3
2. For, behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people; but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee. 3. And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
(11) The people that walked in darkness
Read scripture: Isaiah 9:2
Read scripture: Matthew 3:16
2. The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: and they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
(12) For unto Us a Child is born
Read scripture: Isaiah 9:6
Read scripture: Isaiah 7:14
6. For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.
(13) Pastoral Symphony
(14) There were shepherds abiding in the field
Read scripture: Luke 2:8,9
8. There were shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flocks by night.
9. And lo! the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
(15) And the Angel said unto them
Read scripture: Luke 2:10,11
10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
(16) And suddenly there was with the Angel
Read scripture: Luke 2:13
13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
(17) Glory to God
Read scripture: Luke 2:14
14. Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
(18) Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion
Read scripture: Matthew 21:5
9. Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee. He is the righteous Savior. . 10. . . And he shall speak peace unto the heathen.
(19) Then shall the eyes of the blind
Read scripture: Isaiah 35:5,6
5. Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped. 6. Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the dumb shall sing.
(20) He shall feed his flock like a shepherd
Read scripture: Isaiah 40:11
11. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd; and he shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
Read scripture: Matthew 11:28, 29
Come unto [Him], all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and [He shall]give you rest. 29. Take [his] yoke upon you, and learn of [Him]; for [he is] meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
(21) His yoke is easy
Read scripture: Matthew 11:30
30. [His] yoke is easy, and [his]burden is light.
(22) Behold the lamb of God
Read scripture: John 1:29
Behold the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sins of the world.
(23) He was despised
Read scripture: Isaiah 53:3
3. He was despised and rejected of men: a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. . .
Read scripture: Isaiah 50:6
[He]gave [His] back to the smiters, and [His] cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: [He] hid not [His] face from shame and spitting.
(24) Surely He hath borne our griefs
Read scripture: Isaiah 53:4,5
4. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows. . . .
5. . . He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities:the chastisement of our peace was upon him,
(25) And with His stripes we are healed
Read scripture: Isaiah 53:5b
5. and with His stripes we are healed
(26) All we like sheep have gone astray
Read scripture: Isaiah 53:6
6. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
(27) All they that see him laugh him to scorn
Read scripture: Psalm 22:7
7. All they that see [him]laugh [him] to scorn: they shoot out their lips, they shake their heads, saying:
(29) Thy rebuke hath broken His heart
Read scripture: Psalm 69:20
20. [Thy] rebuke hath broken [his] heart; [He is] full of heaviness. [He]looked for some to have pity [on Him], but there was none; neither found [He] any to comfort [Him].
(30) Behold, and see if there be any sorrow
Read scripture: Lamentations 1:12
12. Behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto [his] sorrow. . .
(31) He was cut off out of the land of the living
Read scripture: Isaiah 53:8b
8. he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of [Thy] people was He stricken.
(32) But Thou didst not leave His soul in hell
(33) Lift up your heads, O ye gates
Read scripture: Psalm 24:7-10
7. Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of Glory shall come in. 8. Who is the King of Glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle. 9. Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of Glory shall come in. 10. Who is the King of Glory? The Lord of Hosts, He is the King of Glory.
(34) Unto which of the angels said He at any time
Read scripture: Hebrews 1:5
Read scripture: Psalm 2:7
5. For unto which of the angels said He at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee?
(35) Let all the angels of God worship Him
Read scripture: Hebrews 1:6b
6. "Let all the angels of God worship Him."
(36) Thou art gone up on high
Read scripture: Psalm 68:18
Read scripture: Ephesians 4:8
18. Thou art gone up on high, Thou hast led captivity captive, and received gifts for men; yea, even for Thine enemies, that the Lord God might dwell among them.
(37) The Lord gave the word
Read scripture: Psalm 68:11
11. The Lord gave the word: great was the company of [the preachers].
1. Why do the heathen rage, and why do the people imagine a vain thing?
2. The kings of the earth rise up, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord, and against His Anointed,
(41) Let us break their bonds asunder
Read scripture: Psalm 2:3
3. Let us break their bonds asunder, and cast away their yokes from us.
(42) He that dwelleth in heaven
Read scripture: Psalm 2:4
4. He that dwelleth in the heavens shall laugh them to scorn; the Lord shall have them in derision.
(43) Thou shalt break them
Read scripture: Psalm 2:9
9. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; Thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
Read scripture: Revelation 19:6
6. Hallelujah! for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Read scripture: Revelation 11:15
15. . . the kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of His Christ: and He shall reign for ever and ever.
(45) I know that my redeemer liveth
Read scripture: Job 19:25, 26
I know that my redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand on the latter day upon the earth:
26. And though worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.
Read scripture: 1Corinthians 15:20
20. [For] now is Christ risen from the dead. . . the firstfruits of them that [sleep].
(46) Since by man came death
Read scripture: I Corinthians 15:21,22
by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
22. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
(47) Behold I tell you a mystery
Read scripture: 1Corinthians 15:51,52
51. Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep; but we shall all be changed, 52. In a moment, in a twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; Read scripture: 1Corinthians 15:52b-53
(48) The Trumpet Shall Sound
52. the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
(50) O death where is thy sting?
Read scripture: 1Corinthians 15:55-56
Read scripture: Hosea 13:14
55. O death, where is thy sting? O grave where is thy victory? 56. The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
(51) But thanks be to God
Read scripture: 1 Corinthians 15:57
57. But thanks be to God, who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
(52) If God be for us
31. If God be for us, who can be against us? 33. Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. 34. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is at the right hand of God, who makes intercession for us.
(53) Worthy is the Lamb
Read scripture: Revelation 5:12, 13
12. Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. 13. . . . Blessing, and honour, glory and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. Amen.
Read scripture: Revelation 19:16
16. . . . KING OF KINGS, LORD OF LORDS.